Spring Citrus Salad
By Neato Bonito
Daylight savings time blues? We have a bright solution that will help ease you into the change. Let this salad liven up the season that was devoted to meats and hearty soups. Don't worry though, you can still have your soup and eat too - anytime you want, we have a great recipe for that HERE! We just like give you options. And this salad option is like sunshine on a plate! Simply refreshing AND refreshingly, simple to make! Boom.
- 2-3 clementines
- 1/2 cup of pomegranate seeds
- 2 slices of prosciutto (I would add the citrus fruits options below instead of prosciutto if you were going for a no meat version)
- optional: orange, grapefruit or blood orange, and/or a bed of greens of your choice
garnish: alfalfa sprouts and fresh mint
dressing: all natural miso sesame
- Peel clementines and then cut into slices and spread out on a plate. Another option is to start off with a bed of greens of your choice and start building your salad from that.
- Tear the prosciutto into bits and sprinkle over clementines. You can use other citrus fruits such as a grapefruit or blood orange instead if you are going for a no ham variety.
- Deseed pomegranates. My favorite way is to submerge the pomegranate in a bowl of cold water and cut and pull apart the pieces while the fruit is submerged in the water. This is to prevent the bursting juices from getting on everything. Then, drain the arils in a colander and sprinkle over the clementines.
- Top with julienned mint leaves and alfalfa sprouts.
- Drizzle miso sesame dressing over salad for a light boost of flavor but no dressing is really needed as the pomegranate adds juice, texture and crunch.
This antioxidant-rich salad is perfect by itself or to add to any breakfast, lunch, or brunch spread! I made lunch for a couple days for the week by piling all this on a bed of spinach and stored in tupperware in the fridge. Brighten up your day with this salad. The dark days of winter will be behind us soon (until next year). Orange you glad it's March?! haha.
simple, delicious and nutritious!