5 Beautifying Uses For Coconut Oil From The Experts At Boracay Skin
Has the world gone coco-crazy? We can't wrap our minds around how long we survived without the wonders of coconut oil. In the span of a few short years, it's become the most incredibly alluring all-natural beauty balm and a kitchen staple we can't live without. While you're no doubt in touch with the myriad reasons coconut oil is a healthier choice for a stir-fry, we tapped the experts at Boracay Skin, an Australian line of coconut oil-based skincare and tanning oils, to educate us on reasons why this particular oil can help us up the ante in the beauty department.
Since adding Boracay Skin to the beauty selection in The Wanderlust, our subscription box, we've become enamored with their shimmery bronze, gold, and natural coconut oils, which we layer with SPF to help acheive a deep, gorgeous tan. Aside from the bronzed glow, another effect of using the product is the incredible softness of our skin, thanks to the antioxidants and natural fatty acids, including lauric acid, which is rich in Vitamin E. While it might be hard to believe that a single-ingredient, natural product could moisturize better than a lotion or cream formulated to do just that, Boracay's Emille Mendoza explained "Coconut oil is best for hydration because lotions can evaporate due to their high water content, whereas our coconut oil-based body oils penetrate deeper into the skin." Ah ha. Soft skin is just the start—here are a few other of Mendoza's remarkable coconut oil beauty tips.
1. Skip the anti-aging potions—coconut oil contains anti-aging properties which help repair collagen.
2. Coconut oil is a brilliant (and gentle) natural makeup remover and cleanser.
3. It naturally contains SPF 4 to protect the skin from UV rays during short term exposure. [Ed. note: Read up on this before committing.]
4. Coconut oil can help with skin conditions such as eczema. (Mendoza vouches personally for this one, as she says it has helped her eczema tremendously.)
5. While it might seem counterintuitive, using coconut oil, which is naturally antibacterial and antifungal, to clear up breakouts is a natural way to soothe and heal blemishes.